Monday 4 February 2013

Let's Cook - Rice Fakesagne.

Hi there Folks,

You may or may not have seen the post I did on Leek Lasagne a little while ago, where I replaced the lasagne sheets with cooked leeks for a lower carb option. Now I love lasagne, it's beautiful, but its just so calorie heavy, what with the pasta and the mince and the sauce and the cheese. So I wanted to try and make a lasagne with fewer calories so I can eat more chocolate...haha!

Our idea was to make a lasagne, but replace the pasta sheets with compacted rice. Now technically it's not lasagne at all, but I'm going to keep on calling it that because I can!

Here's how I did it...




First you need to make your basic bolognese, this can be with any meat of your choosing or of course veggie if you wanted. I used lean mince beef in ours. I also like to pack my bolognese with lots of veggies as this bulks it out without adding loads of calories so I added onion, pepper, mushrooms, grated carrot and the customary chopped tomatoes and passata...mmmm!

Once you have your bolognese, it;s just a case of layering it up with your rice and squidging it down. I also added a little bit of grated cheese between the layers seeing as I didn't use a bechamel sauce as I would normally do with lasagne. Then you just pop it under the grill to crisp up and Bob's your Uncle.




I must say it was realllllly tasty! And super filling too, to be honest, if we weren't greedy we could have easily eaten half of one each with a nice salad on the side, maybe I'll do that next time.

Does anyone have any other yummy fakesagne ideas they would like to share? Please do!

Ciao for now,

JB


This post is shared at the following Linky Parties:

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathie, thank you for the invite :) ive been away for the weekend but ill be sure to join in when I get back later tonight :)

    ReplyDelete