Wednesday 13 February 2013

Let's Cook - Super Simple Vegetable Soup.

Hi there Folks,

Last Sunday I had the biggest craving for vegetable soup...I know, weird right?! Craving veg soup over chocolate is not like me at all!! I wanted it so bad that I ended up going to Tesco to pick up the bits I didn't have so I could make it. It was such a success, super simple to make, done inside 30 minutes, really tasty and super healthy. I'm pretty sure you could eat an entire humongous pan of this and it would only be like 200 calories, but you wouldn't need to because it's nice and filling! Plus I'm pretty sure there's a decent chunk of your 5 a day in one bowlful, I'd guesstimate it's at least 2/3!




So as you can see the soup consisted of red onion, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, courgette and spinach. The reason it's super simple is because I literally chopped the veggies up into smallish chunks, added them one by one to the pan, added 2 litres of vegetable stock and then let it simmer for around 15 minutes. Then I added the spinach just to wilt it a bit and I gave it a tiny little blitz with a hand blender. See, super simple. The whole thing takes maybe 25 minutes to make. In fact I cooked up another batch the other morning whilst making and eating breakfast. 

Ok, so the final product isn't the prettiest soup ever, it's very...green. But it's tasty and full of goodness so I think we can forgive it, yes?

please excuse my chipped bowl and the slightly dodgy photo!

Do you guys have any other lovely super simple soup recipes? I'd love to share some!

Ciao for now,

JB

This post is featured at the following Linky Parties:

8 comments:

  1. I love, love, love vegatable soup! This is a great healthy one with all the cruciferous (spelling) veggies!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thank you for stopping by Shari Lynne :]

      Delete
  2. I'm going to try this! I'll let you know how it goes!
    Marium

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Marium, I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. I love reading through a post and coming across the word 'whilst', it makes me smile. What a wonderful and healthy craving to have. After reading this post, you have made me crave vegetable soup as well. Have you moved on to craving chocolate again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Amy. I'm trying not to crave chocolate, I think I'm doing quite well considering how much of a chocoholic I am!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jordan. Thanks so much for stopping by the other day! :) I love veggie soups and have never tried courgette. I'll have to look that up hehe. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Weiya,

      It is not a problem at all, a big thank you to you for popping over here too :] ooh I love courgette, it's great in the soup, but I've also made it without it too. I love courgettes roasted with other veggies with chicken or fish...yum :]

      Delete